Inflammable cladding ‘not a major defect’

Inflammable cladding ‘not a major defect’

Apartment owners in unit blocks more than two years old are faced with a “pay up or move out” dilemma if they discover the same dangerous cladding on their buildings that caused the ‘towering inferno’ in the Lacrosse building in Melbourne last year. While industry experts are calling for building inspections to discover exactly how many […]

Posted in: Archive, Featured, Forum
Forced sales: fat cats claws clipped

Forced sales: fat cats claws clipped

Planned reforms to NSW strata law, allowing forced sales of apartments for urban renewal, are not as simple as a developer turning up with a cheque book and carting Auntie Mabel off to the retirement home in the back of his ute. And, for once, the fat cats of strata won’t have it all their […]

Posted in: Archive, Featured, Forum
Are strata dwellers being sold out?

Are strata dwellers being sold out?

Are we long-term strata dwellers being treated – yet again – as second-class citizens? Last week, submissions into the review of strata laws in NSW closed, with the hottest topic being the potential for forced sales of strata units. Under proposed legislation, 75 percent of owners will be able to force the other 25 percent […]

Posted in: Archive, Featured, Forum
Who pays when upstairs kitchen floods?

Who pays when upstairs kitchen floods?

Who picks up the bill when a two flats are flooded by a defective dishwasher and neither party is insured? The question was raised by Flatchatter “Powers That Be”, a strata committee member in a block where a tenant’s dishwasher malfunctioned, flooding the unit and damaging the flat below. The damage downstairs will cost about […]

Posted in: Archive, Featured, Forum
New app to end flatshare pain

New app to end flatshare pain

“Sorry, mate, I can’t quite give you the full rent this month” must be one of the most common – and frustrating – cries in flat share world. But now there’s a new app (of course) for Australia’s four million ‘roomies’ that makes paying the rent less painless than ordering a pizza. This online marriage between fridge […]

Posted in: Archive, Featured, Forum
Loophole could let pets off the leash

Loophole could let pets off the leash

Want to share your space with an animal in a pet-free building?  Just get your doctor to sign a letter saying you need it for “assistance”. That seems to be a growing trend in Strataland where a number of owners corporations have reported residents trying to use the “assistance animal” loophole to flout anti-pet by-laws. […]

Posted in: Archive, Featured, Forum
Tenants in, strata ‘presidents’ out, in vote shake-up

Tenants in, strata ‘presidents’ out, in vote shake-up

This first appeared in the Domain section of the SMH on July 25, 2015 In the raft of more than 90 proposed changes to NSW strata law released a couple of weeks ago, one plainly daft idea was binned while another bold attempt to make unit blocks a little more representative survived. The looney tunes […]

Posted in: Archive, Featured, Forum
QUIZ: A law unto ourselves

QUIZ: A law unto ourselves

So you think you know a bit about strata law? How about in other states? Click on over to the Title magazine page where we a running a quiz that points up some of the oddities and idiosyncrasies of strata law all over Australia. It’s short, it’s fun and you’ll almost certainly discover something you […]

Posted in: Archive, Featured, Forum
One word and strata smokers are stubbed out

One word and strata smokers are stubbed out

The days of the ‘fireflies’ – smokers who puff away on the balconies and terraces of their high-rise homes – are numbered in NSW. The government hasn’t banned smoking in apartments or on balconies outright but it is handing apartment residents a big ashtray in which to stub out their nicotine addicted neighbours’ nasty habit. […]

Posted in: Archive, Featured, Forum
Hope you like the new look

Hope you like the new look

Trawling through my files the other day I realised it’s been 11 years since I started writing about strata for the SMH and only slightly less than that since this website was created. In the meantime the website has had a few tweaks here and there but has never undergone had a proper redesign, making it […]

Posted in: Archive, Featured, Forum