Plant rooms annexed for living space - QLD | Common Property | Flat Chat Forum: Your Questions Answered


These posts are now organised with the most recent post at the end. If you have already read the rest of the posts, to skip to the end, use the little bent arrow symbols to take you there. You must be registered and logged in to reply to posts or post new topics.


Please consider registering


— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Plant rooms annexed for living space - QLD
Forum Posts: 6
Member Since:
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
05/08/2012 - 10:07 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

This item would be under the Queensland Law or Legislation ???

Have an issue where plant rooms are in the roof areas of 2 adjoining Units. These plant rooms have been used for habitable living. The local council was notified. They issued breach notices to the owners concerned on the property.

The problem is: Other owners have no access to the plant rooms as they are located in the roof areas within these entitlements.

Owners do not know if these particular owners are once again reusing for habitable living. If this is the case, another breach would be created on the property.

1. Are plant rooms common property or permitted to be part of an entitlement ? 

2. The BUP format shows EACH top unit total floor area being approx. 218m2

This does not include the plant rooms within the unit above. The 2 plant rooms each measure approx, 24m2. If owned by the top unit owner, should it show on the BUP as 242m2, not 218m2 and include a Marked area on the BUP.??? There is no area showing on the BUP for these rooms for the top units.

These 2 top units make up the Full Floor Space above 4 units below.

An example: the 2 units directly below one of the top units measure approx. 207m2 this does not include the stairwell measuring approx.9.5m2 making the Total floor level 216.5m2  This is closer to the top unit size, more in than out.

How can an owner make certain of this ? being common property or owned.

Have a problem, when the local council notified the top unit owners, this gave them adequate time to remove all the furniture from the units involved in the breaches. This would be the case once again if an owner made a complaint to local council.

Any help would be appreciated.

Forum Timezone: Australia/Sydney

Most Users Ever Online: 518

Currently Online: stratus
22 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

kiwipaul: 613

struggler: 459

Austman: 258

Billen Ben: 232

Millie: 192

Kangaroo: 167

considerate band fair: 167

Cosmo: 163

FlatChatFan: 147

daphne diaphanous: 137

Newest Members:



Country Bumpkin





Dana Traurig



Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 46

Topics: 4116

Posts: 19274


Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 241

Members: 4729

Moderators: 4

Admins: 1

Administrators: JimmyT

Moderators: Whale, Sir Humphrey, scotlandx, Lady Penelope