Among the perennial Flat Chat Forum issues, parking is right up there with pets, parties and parquet flooring.
And among all the parking questions, the most common are probably queries about formalising informal parking arrangements.
You know what we mean … everybody is parking their cars on the common property outside their garages, so can we just make that official?
Or people are using visitors parking for their second or third cars and we hardly ever get visitors so can we just pass a by-law allowing it?
If only it was as easy as that. There are a lot of elements in this, not least just giving precious common property to owners, free of charge.
Seriously, if parking is in demand, than it has a value and that should be coming back to the owners corp through rent or a purchase.
But before that, there’s the whole question of planning. Turning a driveway or even a garden into a parking spot is a change of use.
And your by-laws can’t supersede superior laws … like planning, for instance. That’s HERE.
Elsewhere in the Flat Chat Forum:
- What can we do about a resident with addiction issues who is violent and threatening? That’s HERE.
- Whose permission do I need to convert my garage into a home gym? That’s HERE.
- I cant fix my taps without getting to the pipes that are buried deep in a wall. The strata committee says the taps are my concern but surely the pipes are theirs. Who’s right? That’s HERE.
- If part of a by-law is unenforceable or invalid, is the whole by-law defunct? That’s HERE.
- I’ve heard all the horror stories. Has anyone ever been happy with their compulsorily appointed strata manager? That’s HERE.
- The upstairs neighbours put down tiles without permission and have refused to do anything about noise dampening. Now I’m getting an acoustic test and I suspect they are laying carpet temporarily. What can I do? That’s HERE.
That’s a bumper bunch of Forum questions, and there are more on the way. Don’t miss out.