FORUM: Who pays when a common property pipe bursts?


If there’s one area of strata law in NSW that has always puzzled me, it’s the rule that says, while an owners corporation must pay for the damage caused to a lot during the repair of a common property water pipe (for instance) they don’t have to pay for the damage cause by the failure of the pipe in the first place.

Just to be clear, a pipe bursts in a common property wall and ruins your carpet, the owners corp has to pay for the repair to the wall where they dug a hole to get to the burst pipe.

However, the carpet and anything else ruined in the ensuing flood is your problem. Does that make sense to you?  No, me neither.

This issue also had one Flatchatter scratching his or her head. But there is a potential solution if the owners corp or strata manager won’t even claim against their insurance. That’s HERE.

Also in the Forum, what do you do when Fair Trading gives you the wrong advice about a defects claim – based on information they got from the builder?  That’s HERE.

How do you withdraw authority given to your strata committee to make decisions for the whole building?  That’s HERE.

Who exactly are strata managers working for?  That’s HERE.

And how do you safely fit downlights into a ceiling that may not be fire-rated? That’s HERE.


2 Replies to “FORUM: Who pays when a common property pipe bursts?”

  1. benwitham852 says:

    Very serious matter.

  2. fewin says:

    Common prpoperty pipes left me with an $18,000 repair bill and 2 months loss of rent. I had landlord insurance as well as contents. Loss of rent I discovered was based on the value of my contents insurance so ran out.

Leave a Reply

scroll to top