A A A

You must be registered and logged in to reply to posts or post new topics. Click on "How to Use This Forum" for simple instructions on how to get on board. NB: Please do not use your real name or email address as your screen name - if you do it will be changed to something less insecure.

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Should we install a security camera at our front door?
Costa
Flat(chat)Mate
Members
Forum Posts: 89
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
17/10/2018 - 10:41 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

We are considering installing a discrete but easy-to-notice mini security camera outside our front door. We are on the top level of a non-security building in a decent area of Sydney. Only three other apartments will notice it; I have no problem with explaining why, if we do it, and expect they will know our circumstances and have sympathy. (We are being harassed by a former neighbour who’s moved out, who has an anti-social personality disorder; the type who don’t stop once they have a target until they find another target and maybe not even then.)

Flat Chatters, should we just install it and give them a polite note explaining? Or should we give them the note ahead of time with a few days to complain? Should I suggest it could have benefits for them too, what with the amount of parcel deliveries left at front doors and dog walkers coming and going these days?

I should add we’re quite prepared for the hundred dollar camera to be knocked-off or damaged, but the evidence will be in ‘the cloud’.

And though we’ve tried, we can’t find a suitable front door peephole camera. We used to have a set-up with an old camera phone which was good but cumbersome.

No use consulting the Strata Manager or the Strata Committee in our Sydney block of 40; they don’t even bother with the basics. The camera won’t be permanently fixed to Common Property but even if it was the SM and SC wouldn’t care less.

Fey Knows
Flat(chat)Mate
Members
Forum Posts: 33
20/10/2018 - 2:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I understand, Costa. Some of my neighbours have noticed and commented on the front-and-rear dash cam I got after vandalism to my car in the community, non-secure, carpark. The most common opinion is ‘What a good idea! I think I’ll get one’ when I tell them it has a parking mode triggered by movement.

Just install your front door cam and give your immediate neighbours a short, polite note and see what happens. If you bump into them in the corridors, ask what they think.

I also have one pointing out my window at a Common Property pathway which is not at all easy to spot unless you’re peering in which almost nobody would. I see possums and cats but no poo-joggers yet.

Flame Tree
Flat(chat)Mate
Members
Forum Posts: 72
23/10/2018 - 3:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You may not get away with installing a camera, or hard fixing any other item outside your front door as this is common property, not yours. So you may be required to remove it if you do. Firstly you should get advice and then formerly apply to your committee for this. Good luck with your crazy ex neighbor though as it doesn’t sound pleasant at all.

Forum Timezone: Australia/Sydney

Most Users Ever Online: 518

Currently Online:
22 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Whale: 1584

kiwipaul: 584

struggler: 458

Austman: 343

Millie: 212

Billen Ben: 205

Cosmo: 194

considerate band fair: 160

Boronia: 142

Kangaroo: 140

Newest Members:

Marlyn Robertson

Quyen

srk

MayCliff

Climber70

teach

Mrboodly

marygreen

daisy555

Pyrmont Building Manager

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 40

Topics: 4960

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 243

Members: 5669

Moderators: 6

Admins: 1

Administrators: JimmyT

Moderators: Sir Humphrey, scotlandx, Christopher Jones, Lady Penelope, Stratabox.com.au, Jimmy-T