Major Renovations Commenced Prior to Appropriate Council/Compliance Approvals | By-laws and outlaws | Flat Chat Forum: Your Questions Answered


You must be registered and logged in to reply to posts or post new topics. Click on "How to Use This Forum" for simple instructions on how to get on board. NB: Please do not use your real name or email address as your screen name - if you do it will be changed to something less insecure.


Please consider registering


— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Major Renovations Commenced Prior to Appropriate Council/Compliance Approvals
Imogen Bannister
Forum Posts: 9
Member Since:
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
14/03/2018 - 11:17 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Twelve months after a rogue renovator started major alterations, removal of walls and re-configuring of the floor plan without any approvals whatsoever, we eventually approved the By-Laws subject to appropriate Council/Compliance approvals prior. Work recommenced very shortly after the EGM but six months down the track we still have not seen any notification from Council or any Private Certifier.

Can this By-Law be considered null and void? Please advise what “status” the by-law can now be considered. 

Many thanks!

Forum Posts: 4800
Member Since:
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
14/03/2018 - 12:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The by-law isn’t “null and void” but it may have been breached.  Did it say that the commencement or resumption of work was contingent on council approvals? Or just that approval of the work was dependent on council DAs?  If the latter, the rogue renovator could argue that all he or she was seeking was approval after the work had been done.

Any work that involves the reconfiguration of the rooms in an apartment requires council approval.  My next call would be to the council’s planning department asking them to investigate.  They can issue a ‘stop work’ notice if need be.

Failing that, you could apply directly to NCAT (no need to go to Fair Trading on this) for an interim order that all work cease until appropriate approvals have been granted. Go to this page to find the links to the necessary forms.  You apply for an interim order under Section 231 of the Act.

If the rogue developer is smart, they will get the builder to say this is a complying development – which means no council involvement.  Don’t fall for it and if they try it on, tell the builder you will report them (not the owner) to Fair Trading for fraudulent behaviour.

Forum Timezone: Australia/Sydney

Most Users Ever Online: 518

Currently Online:
22 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

kiwipaul: 584

struggler: 458

Austman: 332

Millie: 206

Billen Ben: 205

Cosmo: 186

considerate band fair: 160

FlatChatFan: 140

Kangaroo: 140

daphne diaphanous: 136

Newest Members:








jonno 04



Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 40

Topics: 4637

Posts: 22179


Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 242

Members: 5357

Moderators: 5

Admins: 1

Administrators: JimmyT

Moderators: Whale, Sir Humphrey, scotlandx, Lady Penelope,