A A A

You must be registered and logged in to reply to posts or post new topics. Click on "How to Use This Forum" for simple instructions on how to get on board. NB: Please do not use your real name or email address as your screen name - if you do it will be changed to something less insecure.

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Access to common property ...
dwa
FlatChatter
Members
Forum Posts: 12
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
01/11/2018 - 12:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Hi,

I’m seeking clarification around restriction of access to common property such as switchboard cabinets.

What are owners rights regarding such access? 

My understanding is that common property is something I have access to as a matter of course, simply by owning a lot, and that it cannot be prevented.

If it’s a question of (perception of) safety, I could easily have a qualified agent access cabinets for me, which comes back to general access.

Thanks in advance,

DWA.

JimmyT
Admin
Forum Posts: 5157
01/11/2018 - 5:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

There is a distinction between common property and communal property.  For instance, your balcony is technically common property – in terms of who has responsibility for its maintenance – but that doesn’t mean every other owner is permitted to access it.

Even communal property like a swimming pool may be subject to restrictions on the hours you can use it. And common property areas such as the roof may have a complete ban on owners’ access.

The same applies to utilities – unless you have a legitimate reason for requiring access to fuse boxes or powerboards, then they should be off limits to most owners.  Why?  Because of potential dangers to owners and potential detriment to the rest of the scheme if anyone and everyone can go in there and start messing around.

That said, if you have a legitimate reason for requiring access, then the strata committee (or whatever it’s called in WA) should be able to allow it, subject to reasonable restrictions.

Andy
FlatChatter
Members
Forum Posts: 3
16/11/2018 - 1:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

All valid points however just like knowing where access to the water mains is for an emergency, Ive always insisted in having access to my electrical fuse box even when I rented years ago. 

Needing to call a building manager or strata manager to open a door while someone is being electrocuted is not something I would want to.

There was the same debate in our building about who should have access. An electronic key system is now in place which registers who enters the meter room and when they enter it. 

Forum Timezone: Australia/Sydney

Most Users Ever Online: 518

Currently Online: Whoopi, SirLunchalot
24 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Whale: 1584

kiwipaul: 584

struggler: 458

Austman: 343

Millie: 212

Billen Ben: 205

Cosmo: 194

considerate band fair: 160

Boronia: 142

FlatChatFan: 140

Newest Members:

Marlyn Robertson

Quyen

srk

MayCliff

Climber70

teach

Mrboodly

marygreen

daisy555

Pyrmont Building Manager

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 40

Topics: 4960

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 243

Members: 5669

Moderators: 6

Admins: 1

Administrators: JimmyT

Moderators: Sir Humphrey, scotlandx, Christopher Jones, Lady Penelope, Stratabox.com.au, Jimmy-T