From the Forum: Can we ban Social Housing tenants?


Here’s an issue that hasn’t raised its (very) ugly head for a while – what can you do about potentially disruptive social housing tenants who’ve been dumped in private residential apartment blocks?

I say it hasn’t been raised for a while because the most recent mention of it was back in 2012 when a reader was worried about Housing NSW buying apartments for their overflow tenants.

Now a more recent reader has asked if social housing renters can be banned from apartment blocks via by-laws.

The answer, quite simply, is no, of course they can’t.  And you really shouldn’t assume that Housing NSW tenants are going to behave like the characters in Shameless (pictured).

But that doesn’t mean you have to put up with poor behaviour, regardless of who the culprits are.

In any case, bridges work better than barriers and making people feel part of a community is going to get better results than making them feel alienated and unwanted.

And if push comes to shove, there’s a lot you can do if any resident – owner or tenant – just wants to break the rules because they think they can.  The most recent post on this is HERE.

On slightly less contentious notes …

  • Does the winning owner in a dispute with their owners corp have to pay their share of the OC’s legal costs. That’s HERE.
  • Are we allowed to have a petty cash “float” for minor strata expenses? That’s HERE.
  • Our balcony balustrades look too low and unsafe. Do we need to raise them to building code standards? That’s HERE.
  • And finally, here’s one out of left field – a psychologist’s client wants to sell the flat he’s inherited and move somewhere more congenial … but he’s freaked out by the whole thought of buying and selling. Is there some sort of agency that might hold his hand through the process?  That’s HERE.

There are a lot more questions and answers on the Forum.  Get in there and ask or answer away!

Leave a Reply

scroll to top