We have a waterproofing issue on our two balconies. Two quotes have come in around $40k for them both to be fixed and SM has sent onto the committee for review. This has been over a month now with no responses to the SM. Somewhat lucky Sydney is in drought but when the next storm hits, water will bubble up through the floorboards! Does the committee have responsibility to respond in a timely manner? There is funds available for these repairs. What would be my next step please?
Send a request to the committee to take action on the repairs. If they ignore it for two months or refuse, you can take them to NCAT under Section 232 (2) “Failure to exercise a function”. If you have already sent an official repairs request, them you only have to wait a month before taking action (mediation followed by orders at NCAT)
And you could just explain that is your plan, which may put a rocket under them.
Presumably the quotes were sent in response to a previous request so you could argue that the clock started ticking when that went in. Asking for information (quotes) is not the same as making a decision. So, in my humble, non-legal opinion, you could take the timing from the point when you first asked for the problem to be fixed.