Flat Chat Forum Rental rants Current Page

  • This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by .
  • Creator
  • #50035

    We are tenants in an apartment block. Recently we had a leak from heavy rain through the ceiling damage our microwave and Bose bluetooth speaker so that they no longer work. The building has a body corporate obviously so they are responsible for the building’s roof.

    Should their insurance pay for our items?

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • #50059

    Compulsory strata building insurance doesn’t cover lot contents.

    So to have any chance of claiming from either the OC/BC or its insurer, you’d have to establish the OC/BC’s liability which usually means establishing their negligence.

    With water leaks, especially from storms or burst pipes, it can be sometimes difficult to establish that negligence.  If the OC/BC failed to maintain gutters properly they might be negligent.  If it was a building failure eg due to a storm or a 100 year rain event they might not be negligent.

    It’s usually easier to claim on your own contents insurance and leave any consequential claim against the OC/BC to them.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Flat Chat Forum Rental rants Current Page