From the Forum: Can we block unit sub-division?


There’s been a flurry of activity on the Forum this week, as regular readers find they have time to ask and answer all those question that have been nagging at them. And there are some doozies.

One of the most recent concerns an apartment block where an owner wants to create extra rooms inside the unit so that he can put more people in his flat.

The owners corp took the owner to NCAT – and they said, hold an Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM) and decide it there.

We say, “what a waste of time!”  This isn’t an NCAT matter, it’s a council planning matter and that’s where they should go.

Changing the configuration of an apartment should require planning permission and, trust me, they’re not going to allow a greedy landlord to squeeze double the tenants into the same space.

You can read that question and our answers HERE.

Elsewhere in the Forum:

  • Who decides that a crack in the ceiling is merely cosmetic? That’s HERE.
  • Can I avoid a special levy for work on common property when it doesn’t affect me? You can’t in NSW but you can in Victoria, where this Flatchatter lives. That’s HERE.
  • When rent from your property is your only income how can you tell if defaulting tenants are genuine hardship cases? That’s HERE.
  • Are we allowed to hold general meetings electronically? That’s HERE.
  • Can noise move sideways in apartment blocks. That’s HERE.

There are a lot more questions and answers in the Flat Chat Forum.

Leave a Reply

scroll to top